Ted Hughes: Major Manuscript Collections
There can be little doubt that the manuscripts of Ted Hughes's will become a major focus of scholarship.
This page, lists some of the manuscript collection holdings I know of, mentioning some of the holdings' highlights.
General information relating to the Emory Archives has been moved to a separate page. Holdings' information for Emory is below.
For further information on manuscript collecting, manuscript sales, etc., visit Roy Davids's web site (select »Articles« in the menu) [On-line essays].
The British Library, Department of Manuscripts
- Hughes-Baskin correspondence (new as of March 2004)
- various autographs, typescripts and letters
- recent acquisitions (August 2001) include the correspondence (143 letters) between Keith Sagar and Ted Hughes. Coverage of this was in The Guardian on August 8 and 18.
- also has Ann Skea's correspondence with Ted Hughes
The British Library is also a good place if you are looking for rare publications and limited editions
The British Library have a website on the Ted Hughes Collection at the library.
Emory University, Robert W. Woodruff Library, Special Collection: The Ted Hughes Archives
Now on a separate page.
University of Exeter Library, Special Collections:
- a complete Cave Birds archive with autograph versions and typescripts. (not seen)
For further information contact the Univ. of Exeter Special Collections.
University of Liverpool, Sydney Jones Library, Special Collections:
The holdings of the Special Collections and Archives can be searched through the library's on-line catalogue. These include:
- revised typescripts of nine poems from The Hawk in the Rain.
- Some early holograph drafts of Wodwo poems or poems from that period.
- Typescript drafts of Bedtime Stories (most of them later included in Crow).
- Two drafts of Crow poems.
- Autograph of »The Demon« (play).
- Archive of Oedipus of Seneca: autograph drafts, typescripts, theatre copies, letters ...
- Typescript of »The House of Donkeys« (BBC radio play).
- Typescript of »The Tiger's Bones« (BBC radio play).
- Three untitled early film scenarios.
- Various letters and much more.
Indiana University, Lilly Library, Bloomington, Indiana
The Sylvia Plath Manuscript collection at the Lilly Library has two Ted Hughes MSS:
- drafts, notes, and corrected page proof of The Hawk in the Rain and Lupercal, purchased in 1960.
- 12 letters from Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath to Hughes's brother and sister-in-law, Gerald and Joan Hughes in Australia, purchased in 1979.
- also various other pieces, typescripts, letters, etc.